A good shaving brush is an essential part of any mans grooming equipment. If you really want a close to the skin shave then a shaving brush is a good way to get a fresh look and improve the quality of your shave. But, it’s not easy to find the best shaving brush for your skin.
Using a shaving brush is a great idea if you’re struggling with some of the more common annoyances of wet shaving. By this, I mean things like ingrown hairs and skin rashes. The shaving brush will help stimulate the blood circulation in your face, which will help to reduce the likelihood of irritation. By using a shaving brush, you will allow yourself a much closer shaver than what is achievable with other methods of shaving. Of course, you need to make sure you get a good quality shaving brush to do this.
Here, we’ll look at some of the best shaving brushes available that won’t break your bank balance.
Best Shaving Brush
- 100% Badger hair bristles
- Gently exfoliates the skin
- Brings water to the face for that perfect, true wet shave
- Creates a perfect rich lather
- Fits Perfectly in the "Perfecto Deluxe Chrome Razor and Brush Stand"PLEASE NOTE, that as with all genuine badger hair brushes, slight shedding may occur during the first few times in use--Handle color may vary--ONLY ONE BRUSH IS INCLUDED.
The Perfecto is a good option if you’re after a cheaper option. Many shaving brushes are very similar in the way that they’re made, so you don’t need to be too concerned with the difference between them.
Most shaving brushes are made with badger hair. This is a more traditional option, and some of the newer shaving brushes are made with synthetic materials that imitate this well. Why badger hair? Well, it’s a great material to use as it is firm yet flexible when applied with the right amount of pressure.
Using a shaving brush can be a great choice if you want a good way to spread soap across your face in an even manner, If you use your hands, you’re less likely to be able to spread the foam evenly across your face. This Perfecto shaving brush is a good example of a basic brush that you can use that won’t destroy your bank balance.
Vikings Blade Beard Brush
- November 2016 Upgrade: No more hair entanglement + Heavier base. Pure luxury high end shaving brush
- High end synthetic badger hair for high water retention and a 100% "pure raw manliness" sensation
- Heavy weight ivory-tusk-colored acrylic handle with Swedish alloy base
- To see Vikings Blade quality, check out reviews from our other well established products
- As with all brushes, there will be an expected break-in period when the brush sheds some bristles. This is perfectly normal.
If you’re looking for a step up in appearance, this shaving brush from Vikings Blade is one of the better ones that you’ll find on the market.
It’s actually made with synthetic badger hair, which is a good option if you do not want to use a shaving brush made from real badger hair. I’d probably describe this shaving brush as a ‘luxury’ version, as it is a bit more expensive than your standard shaving brush. This is primarily due to it’s appearance. It has a heavy allow base made in Sweden and is coated in a faux ivory acrylic to make it aesthetically pleasing.
What’s good about this particular brush is that the synthetic badger hair is made specifically to absorb water, which will make it easier to spread shaving soap across your face. This is because it’s easy for the water to combine with the shaving soap that you’ll use, so that you can spread it across you face with ease. You’ll need to use this shaving brush a couple of times to get really comfortable with it, which is common with synthetic goods.
Escali Beard Brush
- MADE FROM REAL BADGER HAIR: The bristles on this brush are made from genuine pure badger hair, for a soft and luxurious feeling every time you shave.
- WORKS UP A FULL LATHER: In just a few seconds, this badger brush can whip up a thick, foamy lather that covers your beard area completely. With on pass around your face, you're ready to start shaving.
- HOLDS AND RETAINS WATER: The bristles on this badger hair shaving brush are super absorbent, which helps you apply shaving cream fast and get a real wet shave. It also makes it incredibly easy to rinse out when you're done.
- FEELS GREAT ON YOUR FACE: Not only will these pure badger hair bristles feel fantastic as you lather up, but they also gently exfoliate your skin, giving you a closer shave and a smoother feel afterwards.
- SOLID CONSTRUCTION: This is a shaving brush you can rely on, every single morning. It's made from excellent quality pure badger hair and real wood, with a sturdy construction. Bristle loss is minimal, and it can last for years if well maintained.
The Escali shaving brush is another solid option if you want a high quality beard brush. It’s made from 100% badger hair, so if you are looking for something made from aesthetic, then this is not the best shaving brush for you.
You may think that the brushes that are listed are a tad expensive, but in reality they are actually quite reasonable. Some shaving brushes cost hundreds of dollars, and this isn’t an area in which you’ll want to skimp on quality. A good shaving brush will be an investment that should last you many years and will help to improve the quality of your shave.
This shaving brush holds water extremely well, so you don’t need to worry about it lacking in quality. Due to it being 100% badger hair, you will also not have to worry about the hairs falling out for a while either (although this is something that happens naturally with most shaving brushes over time). This is a good option if you want a shaving brush that will give a close to the skin shave.
Miusco Badger Hair Shaving Brush
- 100% pure badger hair shaving brush, it can generate rich and warm lather for comfortable shave
- Lift hair and open up pores on your face, naturally exfoliates your skin
- Minimize irritation, shaving burn and pore infection
- Shaving stand will keeps your razor and brush dry to avoid bacteria
- It is designed to increase air circulation for brush to dry properly
If you are looking for a shaving brush that will help exfoliate your skin whilst lathering on the soap, then this could be a good option for you. This Miusco shaving brush is made entirely from 100% badger hair for the best possible application of shaving soap.
Using a shaving brush is a great way to naturally exfoliate your skin whilst getting a close cut shave. If you use a razor to shave, then it is definitely worth trying a shaving brush as it does prepare your skin well. By using a shaving brush with soap, you can actually save money too as you will need less soap than if you were to invest in a shaving gel or cream.
This particular model comes with a hanging stand, which is great. This help you avoid getting any bacteria in the brush by leaving it to stand on a worktop, as it’s proven that leaving your shaving brush to hang dry will enable it to dry quicker with less bacterial growth. A good choice for anyone looking for a solid shaving brush.
Why should I use a shaving brush, anyway?
You might be wondering why you should even consider using a shaving brush in the first place. Aren’t they just an unnecessary piece of grooming equipment, when you’ve already got too much as it is? Well, here’s a few reasons why you should consider using a shaving brush.
Exfoliation – A shaving brush can undoubtedly help exfoliate your skin. This is especially true for your face and your neck, which you may not pay as much attention to as you probably should. The process of using a shaving brush will help you clean your pores and let your skin breathe.
An easy shave – Due to this exfoliation process, your skin will be primed for shaving after using a shaving brush. This reduces the likelihood of redness, rashes and itchy skin – which I’m sure we all hate.
It’s therapeutic – Believe it or not, slowing down the shaving process can actually be good for your brain. Rushing around and going too fast is not always a good thing, and the process of using a shaving brush can help us to relax a little.
How to use a shaving brush properly
Using a shaving brush is relatively straightforward, though you want know how how to do this properly to get the best shave possible. However, be warned; once you start using a shaving brush, you might find it difficult to stop!
Step 1 – Dampen the bristles
It’s important that you wet the bristles of your shaving brush prior to application. This is because it will make it easier for the shaving cream to be used with the brush.
Step 2 – Apply the Shaving Cream (to the brush)
I guess this is the most common misconception of using a shaving brush. You don’t want to apply the cream to your face, then using the brush to rub the cream around your face! You want to apply the shaving cream to the brush throughly, then apply it to your face.
Step 3 – Lather your Skin
Use the shaving brush to lather the soap thoroughly around the areas which you want the shave. If you’re growing your beard out, then the primary area that you’ll want to shave is your neck. This is the main area that you will want to concentrate on with your shaving brush.
Step 4 – Shave
Now, you can go ahead and use your razor to shave your skin. The areas should now be primed for shaving after thoroughly applying the cream with your shaving brush.
Step 5 – Rinse
After you’ve shave, you can go ahead and rinse your shaving brush and razor off! Here’s a good example video if you prefer a visual guide;
If you aren’t happy using shaving gel, then a combination of a good shaving brush and some shaving soap may be a good option for you. This is because it will allow you to throughly moisturize and prepare your skin for the shave, reducing the likelihood of irritation and rashes. If you haven’t used a shaving brush before, then it’s worth giving it a try for an ultra smooth shave.