A hypoallergenic razor is something that’s a necessity for those of us with sensitive skin. If you’re allergic to nickel, then getting a hypoallergenic shaver is definitely something that you’d need.
Although it’s more commonly thought that only women deal with nickel allergies, there’s plenty of men that have these issues too. Of course, more women deal with a nickel allergy than men but there’s still almost 1% of guys that deal with it. If you notice that you’re getting red rash whenever you shave, then there’s definitely a possibility that you’ve got an allergy to nickel.
Nickel is one of the most common metals that people are allergic too. Unfortunately, the vast majority of razors contain nickel and you’re unlikely to find any on the market that don’t contain nickel. Usually they use a titanium coating which helps the top of the razors stay sharp, but underneath they contain cheap nickel that can cause irritation.
There are a few companies around that have products that contain minimum nickel. They prove to be a good option for those who really need a hypoallergenic razor.
Preserve Razor Blades
- Preserve Triple Razor Blades, 24 cartridges (4 razors in each box, 6 boxes total), Packaging may vary
Preserve are the biggest producer of nickel free razor blades that you can find online. Well, I say nickel free – the company state that the products have ‘minimal nickel’ in them so they’re okay if you’re allergic.
They are okay if you’re allergic to nickel as long as you don’t wear them down to the core – this is where the majority of nickel is situated in the razor blade. They are coated with titanium, which the majority of people do not have an allergy to and you should be okay using.
These are some of the most popular blades around, so you can be assured that they’re high quality and work well.
Opt for a shaver
The best option for the majority of people that have an allergy to nickel is to go for a foil shaver. There are many foil shavers on the market that don’t contain nickel, though you will have to shop around to find one that’s best for you. Here’s a few that I’ve seen that don’t contain any nickel.
Wahl Flex Shave
- 3 heads: 3 shaving options: Sensitive, Comfort Close and Ultra Clean
- Sensitive: Reduced irritation for sensitive skin, Comfort Close Smooth, comfortable shave for everyday use
- Ultra Clean: Positively smooth when you need to look your best.Soft zippered storage case
The Wahl Flex Shave is one of the only shavers – maybe?the only?shaver -?that has a special setting that is designed for people with sensitive skin. It has three options – sensitive, comfort close and ultra clean. Between these settings, you’re going to find one that works well for you.
It’s a compact foil shaver that will suit anyone looking for something that can leave their skin alone without causing too much irritation.
The Remington titanium line is also another great option if you desperately want to try and avoid nickel. Of course, these products are primarily made up to titanium, so you don’t need to be worried about nickel.
There are an abundance of different Remington shavers on the market that you can choose from, but some are much better than others.
If you have a nickel allergy
If you have a nickel allergy, you undoubtedly want to pick up some Nickel alert. This is a great addition to anyone who needs to be sure that their razors do not contain any nickel.
All you need to do is apply this liquid to a razor with a cotton swab and wait to see if a red color appears. If it does, then you can be sure that there is some nickel contained in the item. If not, then you’re good to go and you don’t need to worry about there being nickel in your razors.
- WORKS FOR ANY METAL - This testing solution works for any type of metal that you need to test. Whether its a watch, earrings, or a belt buckle, any metal jewelry object is testable.
- SENSITIVE DETECTION - The Nickel Alert solution (dimethylglyoxime spot test ) can test for Nickel for any metal object. This testing solution can detect the presence of nickel at a level as low as 10...
- EASY AND FAST TO USE - This invaluable kit's Nickel detection solution can test any metal item in only 30 seconds. Nickel Alert now comes in a larger, easy-use squeezable bottle - .5 ounce which is...
Overall, it can be a bit of a nightmare dealing with a nickel allergy. But up to 1 in 20 women deal with this, so remember that you’re not alone in your nickel allergy. If you look around on the market, then you can undoubtedly find something that will suit your needs like the Preserve Razor Blades. You might have to pay a tad higher prices, but it can be worth it to avoid the allergic reaction you might experience.