The Wahl Detailer is one of Wahl’s most pretigious models – barbers all over the world have turned to the Detailer as one of the clippers in their equipment. But, the different variations of the Detailer can get a little confusing sometimes. The 8081 and the 8290 are two models of the Detailer – but what are the differences between the two, or are they essentially the same?
Essentially, they are exactly the same with one small difference. The 8081 has a wider blade than the 8290. This is the only difference between the two – aside from this, the motor and other parts of both sets of clippers are exactly the same.
So, it’s easy to see that these are pretty much the same clipper except for the super wide blade on the 8081 which makes them more suitable for shaving the back of the neck.
Why you should consider the Wahl Detailer (8081 or 8290)
- From Wahl Professional's commercial grade line of products, the Detailer is intended for professional use only and is engineered to deliver the sharp performance that experts demand. It is equipped with a t-blade for a precise, close cut
- This lightweight, quiet, and yet powerful trimmer offers top-notch precision and functionality. Excellent for lining and artwork, our Detailer boasts a rotary motor with t-blades that adjust to zero overlap. It also has an ergonomic shape that fits perfectly in the palm of your hand
- For your convenience, the Detailer comes with all accessories required for use. Package includes the trimmer, (3) attachment comb cutting guides (1/16", 1/8", and 1/4"), oil, cleaning brush, red blade guard, and operating instructions
- The Detailer (#8290) measures 5" long and weighs 6.9 oz. This product features an 8-foot, professional grade, chemical resistant cord, included
- Wahl Professional Products purchased from this authorized dealer feature a manufacturer's warranty, which is not available from unauthorized dealers, Voltage - 120V-60HZ
If you’re going to get yourself a new set of hair clippers, then you should definitely look into getting the detailers. There are a few reasons why I like this particular model, which I’ll go through now so that you can make an informed decision.
One of the best things that most people have noted about the Wahl Detailer series is their durability. If you’re looking for a set of clippers that’s going to last you through the ages, then this is one of the best variations of clippers to go for. It’s often the case with cheaper clippers that they aren’t going to have the longevity of some other more expensive brands of hair clippers – it’s true in this case.
There are other reasons why you’ll want to opt for the Detailers – they’re definitely made of a high quality, and they come with 3 different length attachments. This makes it extremely easy for you to choose a length for your hair which these attachments, and they work very well too.
Compared to some other trimmers made by Wahl – like their balding clippers – the Wahl Detailers are extremely lightweight. In fact, that was probably my harshest criticism of the Wahl Balding Clippers, so a set of clippers half the weight is certainly appealing. Of course, the Detailers won’t cut anywhere near as close as the Balding Clippers, but they’re really not designed to.
If you’re a barber, then you’ll know what zero gapping is. But for most people, this can be a little confusing. To get a closer cut, you’ll need to ‘zero gap’ your clippers. Here’s a video which describes this in more detail;
One of the main things that you’ll want to look at when you’re purchasing a set of clippers is to ensure that they have a powerful motor. This is definitely true of the Detailer, which uses a strong rotary motor which cuts through hair swiftly and easily.
Overall, the Wahl Detailer is a solid option if you’re looking for a new set of clippers to add to your collection. It’s definitely up there with other great clippers, so it’s worth considering. Depending on what you need, you’ll need to make up your own mind whether to opt for the 8081 Detailers or the 8290 – it really depends on what you need.
If you don’t know which one to opt for, remember that the 8081 has a wider T Blade than the 8290. If you can’t decide, then it’s a better option to play it safe with the 8290’s as they have a more standard blade. But, both variations will be good for detailing your hair.