Hair loss shampoo has become increasingly popular recently, with more and more products arriving on the market. But how do you decide on which one is the best hair loss shampoo for you? It’s definitely not an easy task.
Whilst here at Balding Life we’re massive advocates of accepting your male pattern baldness, I understand if you want to cling on to it a little longer. Once it’s gone, it’s gone and it ain’t coming back! For this reason, you can look at using some hair loss shampoos to help slow down the hair loss process. A good hair loss shampoo will help to mitigate any issues you’re currently experiencing, with some even stating that they’ll help your hair grow back (though I’m not too sure about that!).
Hair loss shampoos are also a fantastic choice for women who are experiencing some form of hair loss, Whether it be genetically getting thinner from old age (it happens to the best of us!) or something more complicated, a good product can make you feel a lot more confident in yourself.
Best Hair Loss Shampoo
- PROFESSIONAL HAIR AND SCALP CLEANSER SHAMPOO for fine, non chemically treated hair with light thinning Award: Behind the Chair Stylist Choice Winner Favorite Thinning Haircare, 16 consecutive...
- DETOXIFYING SHAMPOO leaves hair growing healthily with body, volume and shine
- CLEANSING SHAMPOO removes product build up, minerals, pollutants and toxins
The best known shampoo for dealing with thinning hair and hair loss is undoubtedly Nioxin. With it’s variety of different systems, it’s become the indisputable first port of call for anyone who’s hair is starting to thin out and disappear.
There’s a good reason why Nioxin is one of the most popular brands around.
Nioxin contains some great ingredients that can help to cleanse your scalp. Things like salicylic acid work wonders for helping to cleanse the scalp, primarily through reducing irritation (which is why salicylic acid is one of the best things for treating acne, too).
Another ingredient that you’re going to want from any shampoo is zinc pyrithione. This isn’t anything revolutionary – you’ll find it in most regular shampoos like Head and Shoulders – but it’s definitely going to help improve the quality of your hair.
Overall, Nioxin is one of the best hair loss shampoos. Whilst there’s the assumption that Nioxin is only useful for women, it’s also worth considering if you’re a guy too. It’s undoubtedly one of the better choice if you’re looking to deal with thinning hair.
- Regrow Thicker, Fuller, Healthier Hair with America’s Number 1 Selling HAIR REGROWTH SYSTEM FOR WOMEN. Our 30 Days Hair Regrowth System includes Hair Volumizing Shampoo and Conditioner, Lift and...
- CLEANSE - Scalp Nourishing Keratin Shampoo and Conditioner are scientifically formulated to gently cleanse and deliver strand-saving protection for thinning hair. The formula features Keratin Amino...
- REGROW – Keranique Regrowth Treatment is specifically designed to work with a woman’s body chemistry. The Keranique Regrowth Treatment contains the only FDA approved and clinically proven...
Keranique is one of the only hair loss shampoos that’s included Minoxidil as part of it’s recipe. We all known the effectiveness of Minoxidil on hair loss, so this might be a make or break ingredient for you.
It’s worth mentioning however, that for some people Minoxidil is a pretty strong product, so you might want to avoid it if you’re just looking for something light. Minoxidil deals with permanently baldness, but it can also be extremely useful for temporary baldness as well.
Keranique is best used as a combination of 4 different products – primarily their shampoo and conditioner, but also their repair and treatment spray, as well as their hair regrowth foam. Between all of these different formulas, there’s a ton of good ingredients for your hair. As you might have guessed by the name, the most prevalent is Keratin, which has been a commonly used haircare ingredient in salons for a long time.
Overall, Keranique is one to consider if you’re looking for a full hair loss system to use.
- Trusted Brand: Hundreds of thousands people around the world have been in love with Lipogaine products since 2009. Most people learnt the brand from their very satisfied friends.
- Premium natural ingredients based hair stimulating shampoo, strengthen & nourish hair and help prevent hair thinning & hair breaking. For both Men and Women with hair loss or thinning.
- Powerful proprietary blend of Biotin, Caffeine, Argan Oil, Castor oil and Saw Palmetto for the best volume and looking of your Hair
Unlike what many people think, Lipogaine doesn’t actually contain Minoxidil, which is the main ingredient in Rogaine. Instead, Lipogaine looks at other ingredients to try and restore your hair to it’s former glory.
Lipogaine is known as one of the better options for those looking to avoid hair loss products with side effects – namely Minoxidil and Finasteride. Whilst stronger hair loss products have a better chance of effecting male pattern baldness, they do have a greater risk of side effects like headaches and a waning libido.
This isn’t a problem with Lipogaine, as it contains ingredients like Biotin, Caffeine and Argan Oil, which can help improve the quality of your hair. If you think that your hair loss might be due to stress, then something like Lipogaine would be the ideal hair loss shampoo for you.
- Most powerful non daily hair loss shampoo on the market
- Zenagen treatments use hair loss fighting technology and take only 5 minutes, 3 times a week
- See noticeably thicker fuller hair within 3 months of using zenagen
Zenagen is generally considered as a cheaper alternative to Nioxin, which can become expensive, especially if you plan on using it over a prolonged period of time. There’s no denying the similarities between the two, but just because Nioxin is the better known brand, doesn’t mean you should rule Zenagen out altogether.
In fact, Zenagen has a lot of users who swear by it’s effectiveness. For best effect, you’ll need to use Zenagen between 3 and 4 times per week. There are a few different Zenagen products available, but they’re best known for their thickening therapy shampoo.
Essentially, Zenagen is essentially another option to cleanse your scalp and give your hair a better environment to grow in the future. You need to leave the product in for 5 minutes before washing it out. In this time, some of the Zenagen ingredients – like Red Clover Extract and Saw Palmetto – should have enough time to revitalise your hair.
- TOP RATED 2020 SHAMPOO FOR HAIR REGROWTH STIMULATION
- Contains highly effective CaffinoPlex blend designed and researched to aid in healthy hair growth
- Contains powerful caffeine compounds which have been shown to reduce hair loss, stimulate hair growth and block effects of testosterone within the skin
Whenever I see the words ‘caffeine shampoo’, I become immediately cautious. Why? Well, because there’s no real established science backing up the idea that caffeine can magically help to regrow your hair. That’s the fact of it. This was essentially clarified in 2018, when in the UK brand Alpecin was banned from saying it can reduce hair loss.
Though for some reason, many caffeine shampoos seem to sell extremely well. Personally, I think this is primarily because of other reasons not considering the caffeine. Also, brands like Hair Surge are relatively cheap, so it really isn’t the end of the world if the effectiveness of the caffeine is minimal if at all – it’s not much more expensive than a regular high quality shampoo.
Enough about caffeine – what else might hair surge have that will impact it’s effectiveness? Well, Hair Surge also contains Saw Palmetto and Ketoconazole, which has been shown as one of the more effective ways to reduce hair loss in men.
Overall, if you’re looking for something that may work whilst you’re on a tight budget, then you can consider Hair Surge.
Art Naturals Argan Oil
- ARGAN OIL – Argan oil is known for its ability to help hair restore, enhance and grow. The natural moisturizer will help repair, dry, brittle and damaged hair from blow drying, flat ironing and sun...
- FOR ALL HAIR TYPES – artnaturals argan oil shampoo and conditioner set is for both men and women, straight or curly hair, blondes or brunettes. This shampoo duo set is the ultimate experience.
- RESTORATIVE FORMULA – Our natural and organic ingredients help repair hair damage and prevent any effects from heat and excess styling. The hydrating minerals and oils work to hydrate the hair and...
Argan Oil has become increasingly popular in recent years, especially as an ingredient in shampoo. It’s known that it’s ingredients support thick and healthy hair, so it’s not surprise it’s popularity has increased. It’s also great for your hair follicles, so if you’re suffering from some form of temporary hair loss, then this could be a good option.
Like many other products similar to this, they also contain DHT blockers. What does this mean? Well, DHT is created from the testosterone in your body and is part of the development process. It’s a necessary part of development, especially for guys as it helps us develop physically. It’s also great for heart health, so don’t knock it just because it causes us some hair loss.
As hair loss shampoos go, this is a great choice if you are looking for something that will mitigate any further loss and leave your remaining hair feeling thick and luxurious.
Maple Holistics Biotin Shampoo
- BIOTIN FOR HAIR GROWTH this is a thickening shampoo for color treated hair damaged hair and oily scalp. Our natural shampoo has tea tree for dandruff and pure rosemary essential oil for hair growth.
- HAIR FOLLICLE STIMULATOR our hair growth shampoo is like a biotin supplement for your hair. It has essential oils for hair growth that help this cleanser to act as a DHT blocker shampoo for regrowth.
- NATURAL HAIR VOLUMIZER hair thinning can cause thick hair to look dull and thin hair to look flat. Our root lifting densifying shampoo leaves hair with more body and fullness as well as softness.
Much like Argan Oil has been praised for it’s ability to help with your hair loss, Biotin has been promoted as another shampoo that’s going to magically make your hair grow back. I’ve got news for you; it probably won’t. Unless you’re experiencing some kind of temporary hair loss like telogen effuvium, then the likelihood is you’re experiencing permanent hair loss and Biotin won’t make your hair automatically grow back.
There’s no clinical proof for Biotin making your hair grow back. It might, but I doubt it (that’s my personal opinion, not factual). If you have a Biotin deficiency, then it’s a possibility, but it’s uncommon for someone to experience this. It can, however, help to mitigate any further losses and help to make your hair appear thicker in it’s appearance – which is the next best thing.
This Maple Biotics shampoo is a good option if you’re looking for a Biotin shampoo that will help your remaining hair appear thicker and reduce the bald spots in your head.
Pure Biology Hair Growth Shampoo
- BEST HAIR GROWTH BLEND – Packed with natural extracts, amino acids, Biotin, Keratin and Rosemary Oil, Vitamins B and E, Saw Palmetto and more, this shampoo features proprietary hair growth complexes...
- BREAKTHROUGH COMPLEXES – Amino Kera NPNF Keratin complex penetrates deep to strengthen and revitalize damaged hair while moisturizing and conditioning.* 3HC stimulates cells responsible for growing...
- DHT BLOCKER – Saw Palmetto and Green Tea are essential to preventing dihydrotestosterone (DHT) to promote regrowth of natural hair.* Additionally, Rosemary Oil helps treat alopecia and thinning...
If you’re looking for a hair stimulating shampoo that works, then this one from Pure Biology could be a great choice for you.
Made for all genders – yes, all genders not both genders- this shampoo has a slight citrus scent but isn’t overpowering. It will help to strength your hair and create more volume, so it’s an ideal choice if you’ve suffered from any sort of alopecia or your hair isn’t as thick as it was when you was younger.
Aside from Biotin, this shampoo contains loads of other ingredients such as keratin(Amino Kera), and the complex made by Pure Biology is actually clinically proven to reduce hair loss by 21% in a few weeks (I had to highlight the ‘clinically proven’ part because it’s not often you’ll find anything clinically proven when relating to hair growth lol!). This would be a good choice if you want a hair loss shampoo that will repair your hair to the best it possibly can be.
Pura D’Or Therapy Shampoo
- HAIR THICKENING HAIR CARE SET: Reduce visible signs of hair thinning and breakage with this hair shampoo and conditioner. It’s made with 15 Key Active Ingredients to clean the scalp off of the...
- MOISTURIZING ARGAN OIL SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER: The combination of Amla and Meadowfoam Oils keeps your hair hydrated by locking in hair’s natural moisture and providing protection from harmful...
- PROTECT YOUR HAIR: Sulfate and Paraben Free shampoo and conditioner both enriched with argan oil for hair to add protection to your hair against damage caused by the sun and chemicals found in other...
Pura D’Or is one of the oldest brands around when it comes to hair loss shampoo, they’ve been at the top of the game for many years and have tons of faithful customers who swear their shampoos have helped with their hair loss.
This shampoo is a mixture of Biotin, Argan Oils, Niacin and other ingredients that help to nourish your hair back to it’s former glory. It’s a good choice for anyone dealing with damaged hair, as Argan Oil and it’s other ingredients are a perfect mix for dealing with dry hair or if you’re dealing with split ends. Unfortunately, it’s extremely easy to get damaged hair, but a lot harder to fix your hair once it’s damaged, so you’ll need to wait a while before you see results with any hair loss shampoo. Either way, Pura D’Or is a solid brand to go with if you want something with a proven track record.
Re:Line Thickening Shampoo
- BIOTIN SHAMPOO FOR HAIR GROWTH - Thickening Shampoo For Hair Loss All Natural With Hair thickening B-Complex formula treats thinning hair with botanical Rosemary Aloe Vera Saw palmetto and coconut,...
- SULFATE FREE NATURAL SHAMPOO FOR THINNING HAIR - The best of cell stimulating hair loss treatments for stronger hair volume and thickness, This Hypoallergenic Natural Biotin Shampoo for hair loss is...
- ANTI HAIR LOSS SHAMPOO for women and men naturally prevents hair loss by blocking DHT - a primary cause for thin weak hair by removing DHT this premium Biotin DHT Blocker Shampoo will give you shiny...
A good thickening shampoo can be great if your hair is getting slightly thinner; whether that be through age or otherwise.
This Re:Line Biotin shampoo is a good choice if you’re after a hypoallergenic shampoo that will stimulate your hair cells into growth. Aside from Biotin, it’s filled with other ingredients like saw palmetto which are known for helping improve the health of your hair.
Does hair loss shampoo really work?
One of the most common questions associated with hair loss shampoo is whether it really works. The answer? It depends.
If you’re completely bald already naturally – by naturally, I mean male pattern baldness and not something temporary – then hair loss shampoo isn’t going to magically make your hair grow back. I’m sorry, but that’s the reality. However, if you’re just starting to experience male pattern baldness, or you have a ‘temporary’ hair loss issue like telogen effluvium, then hair loss shampoo can work for you.
The ingredients in hair loss shampoos help to support a healthy head of hair. The majority of hair loss shampoos use similar ingredients that will ensure you maintain a healthy scalp. These ingredients are;
- Biotin – Biotin is the most commonly advertised ingredient in hair loss shampoos. Personally, I think this is a bit sneaky because it’s kind of marketed as if extra biotin will help your hair grow back – this isn’t the case. Biotin is a naturally found vitamin in our foods and bodies, and it will only help your hair if you’re suffering from a deficiency. This is pretty unlikely, though still a possibility. It’s still important to ensure you’re getting enough biotin daily.
- Caffeine – Caffeine isn’t just great for keeping you awake. It can actually help to stimulate the follicles in your scalp into growth, too. This makes it a common ingredient in hair loss shampoos.
- Minoxidil – Minoxidil is one of the only scientifically proven chemicals that can help your promote the growth of your hair. Many other ingredients are thought to help with hair growth, but minoxidil almost definitely will, though it doesn’t work for everyone.
- Niacin – Niacin, also know as vitamin B3, is one of the most common deficiencies that may be causing some form of hair loss. If you’re starting to feel fatigued, then it might be a Niacin deficiency, as this is it’s most common symptom.
- Vitamin B6 – Another common deficiency you may experience is B6. This can be a concern, because B6 is an important part of your system, for both your physical and mental health. B6 can help to reduce the harmful effects of testosterone.
- Keratin – Keratin is used to help support a healthy scalp. It will help ensure that any damage your hair has experienced to date can be repaired over the period of time that you use a keratin filled product.
What else might be causing my hair loss?
If you aren’t totally sure on the true cause of your hair loss, then there are some other things that you might want to consider. I should probably say that a hair loss shampoo won’t hinder your chances of hair regrowth, but there are situations in which it won’t be effective. These situations are;
- Genetics – It’s time to be honest. Genetics are the main reason that you’re losing your hair. If you’re a guy, then the likelihood you’re experiencing male pattern baldness is far greater than any other reasons you might be losing hair. Don’t worry; this is common. You should probably check out the main signs of balding if you’re concerned you have male pattern baldness. For women, they also experience genetic female pattern baldness, though this is less extreme and doesn’t follow the same pattern.
- Alopecia Areata – Alopecia areata is also known as spot baldness. It’s actually still unknown what really causes alopecia areata, but it can make you lose hair in random patches on your body (or all over).
- Hypothyroidism – Hypothyroidism is an underactive thyroid, and is a far more likely circumstance than hyperthyroidism, which can also cause hair loss. Basically, if you’re thyroid isn’t healthy, then this can cause hair loss. Your doctor can test your thyroid to check if it’s working as it should be.
- Situational – There are a lot of situations which may cause temporary hair loss. Things like stress, lack of sleep, anxiety and depression and just some of the things that may be causing you to lose your hair. Again, head to the doctor for a diagnosis if you’re worried about this.
The Benefits of Using a Hair Loss Shampoo
If you’re thinking about using a hair loss shampoo, then there are a few reasons that people prefer to use this method as opposed to other techniques to fight against hair loss. The main reasons that people prefer using a hair loss shampoo are;
- Ease of Use – It’s extremely easy to use a hair loss shampoo to help mitigate your hair loss. All you have to do is shampoo your hair as normal but with a different product! You don’t need to take tablets, or apply some product to your hair twice a day like you do with some other products. This makes it a great choice for those looking for something that won’t disrupt their current daily routine.
- Fast Results – The majority of hair loss shampoos will start to take effect relatively quickly. It will start to make the remaining hair on your head look thicker and more luxurious, which is good if you still have a significant amount of hair left on your head.
- Promotes scalp health – For your hair to grow comfortably, you need to have a healthy scalp. This is where a good hair loss shampoo can really make all the difference, as it will clear all the bad oils from your head.
Whilst a good hair loss shampoo isn’t a necessity, it can help thicken your remaining hair. Some will state that they actually help hair to grow back, though from all the research and people I’ve spoken to suggests this isn’t really the case for the majority. It’s better used if you’re experiencing alopecia or telogen effluvium. It won’t work for male pattern baldness. You can also look at some vitamins to help with your hair loss as a deficiency is another reason you may be experiencing this.
Hair loss shampoo is great for anyone who isn’t yet ready to buzz it all off, or someone who’s just starting to notice some form of hair loss. It’s important to remember that your hair doesn’t define you, however.