It’s generally assumed that once you’ve finally lost all of your hair, you don’t need to use shampoo anymore. I mean, why would you? Shampoo is for hair right? Well, that’s not necessarily the case. Shampoo can be great for keeping the scalp clean, which is still a necessity even if you’re bald. So, getting the best shampoo for a bald head is still a good idea.
But not all shampoos are created equal, and some shampoos are better suited to bald heads than others. The reason for this is that your scalp is now expose the majority of the time. You don’t have that layer of hair to protect you any longer. You’re exposed to sunlight and all sorts of weathers the majority of the time. This is why you need to take better care of your head after you’ve gone bald. And a good shampoo is the best way to do that.
Fortunately for you, I’ve been bald for many years now and I’ve tried various different shampoos in that time. Some work much better than others, and it might be worth trying out a few different ones to see which works best for you.
Best Shampoo for Bald Heads
Maple Holistics Sage Shampoo
- Shampoo contains sodium
- One of Maple Holistics most original and best-selling formulas, Sage Shampoo can help eliminate dandruff in an easy and natural way. No longer do those with moderate-to-heavy dandruff plaguing the scalp area have to suffer the embarrassment and inconvenience that comes along with dandruff dust shoulders guaranteed.-Gentle hypoallergenic shampoo platform contains no harsh ingredients, no sulfates, no parabens, is cruelty-free and vegan-friendly, and is safe for color treated hair.-
Maple Holistics have been one of my favorite shampoo brands for ages. I’ve used a variety of their different shampoos, but my favorite shampoo of theirs is the Sage Shampoo. It contains Jojoba, Argan and organic tea tree oil which are the common denominators when it comes to shampoos. This is because they work well with soft and sensitive skin.
It’s made for those with dandruff and colored hair, but I’ve found that it works really well for my scalp. This is because my scalp is particularly sensitive and you need a gentle shampoo to work with your scalp. The issue with some shampoos is that they are filled with nasty ingredients, so it’s also important you find a shampoo that’s organic.
Parabens and fragrance are an absolute no no when it comes to shampoo for a bald head. These are the most likely ingredients to cause irritation, and this is exactly what we’re trying to avoid. If you’re after a hypoallergenic shampoo that will work well with a bald head, then you can’t really go wrong with any products from Maple Holistics.
Along with my other shampoos, I also like to include Nizoral into my bald head care regimen. This is one of the better options if you’re dealing with common irritations that come from using a razor to shave your head.
- Shampoo fights dandruff outbreaks
- Ketoconazole 1% controls flaking, scaling, and itching
- Use just twice a week
- Thick, rich lather rinses clean
The main reason that I started using Nizoral was that I started to get forehead bumps. This might not have been as noticeable if I had hair, but as a bald man it’s pretty important that you have clear skin. Otherwise, it’s super apparent because you don’t have any hair to cover up your bumpy skin.
So, I originally started using Nizoral to dry and deal with the initial bumps on my forehead. And they cleared up within a few weeks. This is likely due to the fact that Nizoral helps to reduce the oil in the skin. It also helps to stop the conversion from testosterone to DHT (which makes it great for hairloss too!).
Since then, I’ve continued to use Nizoral and my skin has continually stayed relatively neutral. If you have oily skin, then I suggest that you try it to see if it helps with your scalp.
With Nizoral, you don’t need to use it every single day. You can integrate in with another shampoo and just use Nizoral once or twice a week and still get awesome results.
Neutrogena T Gel
If you’re looking for a good scalp care shampoo, then you really need something that can protect you against psoriasis and dandruff. Nizoral is one of the better shampoos on the market, with it’s main competitor being T Gel.
- 8.5-fluid ounce bottle of Neutrogena T/Gel Therapeutic and Anti-Dandruff Shampoo to get long lasting relief from itching and flaking
- Original therapeutic formula helps control scalp itching and flaking caused by chronic scalp psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis and even common dandruff
- Contains coal tar extract, which scientific tests have proved continues to work for hours after the shampoo is rinsed off
- From the #1 dermatologist-recommended brand, this dandruff treatment shampoo helps maintain a healthy scalp and leaves hair clean and manageable.
- Designed for daily use. For best results, use at least twice a week or as directed by a doctor. Massage shampoo into your scalp, lather, leaving on your hair and scalp for several minutes, and then rinse.
T Gel helps to sooth the scalp. It isn’t as strong as T Sal, which is another of Neutrogenas best selling hair shampoos. It’s main ingredient is coal tar extract, which is scientifically proven to help with an itchy scalp. Not only this, but it works for several hours after you apply it too.
It’s primarily used for oily skin and dandruff conditions, which makes it perfect for use on a bald head. This is because your head is permanently exposed to the weather, and it will need a particularly sensitive shampoo to ensure that your scalp is fine.
Argan Oil Shampoo
You don’t necessarily need to get yourself a specialist shampoo like Nizoral or T Gel if you don’t want to. A more general option is to go for a more common shampoo, with Argan Oil shampoos being an awesome option for bald guys.
- Argan shampoo introduces the ultimate haircare formula that provides maximum benefits with six of the most effective oils for hair and scalp health
- Argan keratin hair treatment with Vitamin A B1 B2 D & E, increases the strength of hair while eliminating frizz. The avocado oil, jojoba & peach kernel rejuvenate the hair while nourishing the scalp.
- Argan oil most with no artificial colors or additives is made in a facility that exceeds cGMP levels. The best essential deep care hair pack for hair loss, dry hair & flaking scalp.
- Smoothing for color treated, processed & natural hair. Our natural ingredients, like silk protein & phytokeratin, promote frizzy damaged hair repair for healthier hair.
The reason being for this shampoo is not so much because of the Argan oil itself – which is proven to be good for the skin – but also the abundance of other ingredients that help to make it a good option for your skin.
This Argan oil shampoo is filled with good oils – argan, jojoba, avocado and others that can help to keep your skin nourished and moisturized. This is a pretty average shampoo and is a better option if you’re looking for a budget option for your scalp.
Overall, you need to try and find a shampoo that works well with your skin. Remember that the skin on your scalp is significantly more expensive than the skin elsewhere on your body, so it can pay to get a better quality shampoo as a bald person. Whilst you don’t need to spend too much, usually these higher quality shampoos will set you back a little bit more than your average shampoo.