Wahl is one of the most popular brands of hair clippers for the last few decades, if not longer. Their most popular model is probably the Wahl Professional range, which has sold thousands upon thousands of products worldwide. Two of the most popular variations of the Wahl Professional are the Detailer and the Hero – but which is better, and what are the differences between the two?
Differences between the 8081 and 8991 (Hero vs Detailer)
Though they are similar to each other in a lot of way, there are some differences between the two that should be taken into account. The main differences between the two sets of clippers are;
- Noise – One of the main differences that you’re going to notice between these two models is that the Hero is significantly quieter than the Detailer. This may not make a difference if you’re going to use it in a professional setting (for which it’s intended), but it is worth taking into account.
- Runs cooler – Even though they use the same powered motor, the Hero will run a little bit cooler than the detailer due to it’s design.
- Narrow blade – The Hero has a narrower blade than the detailer, which will take some getting used to if you’re making a switch over between the two models.
- Size – The Hero is better for getting into smaller areas, whereas the detailer is designed for finishing areas (like the neckline).
Although there are a lot of differences, there are a ton of similarities between the models too. They are;
- Same motor – Even though the Detailer is a lot noisier, they actually still use the same motor as the Hero. This makes them pretty equal in terms of power and usage, so it’s worth noting this down as it’s often though that the Detailers are more powerful.
- Same blade – Even though the two sets of clippers use the same type of blade, they’re actually different in size. But, they’re still the same old type of regular metal T Blade.
- Same Wahl branding – All Wahl clippers tend to have the same style and branding, although these two are different colors, this is the only difference in terms of branding.
Why I prefer the Wahl Detailer
- Professional precision: From Wahl Professional's commercial grade line of products, the 5 Star detailer is intended for professional use only and is engineered to deliver the sharp performance that...
- Stylish and functional: This ultra powerful compact trimmer offers an appealing aesthetic in addition to top notch precision and function; Excellent for lining and artwork, the detailer boasts a...
- Accessories included: For your convenience, the 5 Star Detailer comes with all accessories required for use; Package includes the trimmer, (3) attachment comb cutting guides (1/16 inch to 3/16 inch),...
There’s no doubt that these are two of the best clippers from Wahl, but I definitely would always choose the Detailer over the Hero. The main reason for this is that the Detailer is a more regular set of hair clippers, whereas the Hero is more of a specialist smaller set of clippers. Of course, this might be what you’re after, in which case you should opt for the Hero’s.
One of the main things that I love about the Wahl Detailer is their durability. If you cut hair often, then one thing that you want to be sure of is that your clippers are going to last you years – not months. Anyone who’s bought a cheap set of clippers has learned the hard way. The Detailers will undoubtedly last you a long time as they’re super well made and durable.
Even though they’re high quality and well made, this doesn’t make the Detailer’s necessarily expensive. This is another reason I like the Wahl Detailers – affordability. You don’t have to pay a huge premium for the 8991’s or any other Wahl Detailers for that matter.
Overall, these clippers have become solidified as one of, if not my very favorite set of barbers clippers that are available on the current market.
As a result, it’s clear to see that both of these sets of hair clippers have their pros and cons. It really does depend on what exactly it is that you’re looking for from your set of hair clippers – this will help you make a decision between the two.
If you want a small, easy to use trimmer that you can use for behind the ears and harder to get to areas, then you should look at the Wahl Hero. It’s size and weight make it a good choice for a set of clippers that’s easy to manoeuvre around the head.
If you’re looking for something for lineups and to do fades with, then you should opt for the Wahl Detailer as it’s extremely useful for these kind of things, as well as regularly cutting your hair. If I had to choose one from the two, it would undoubtedly be the Detailer as I feel this is more suitable to general haircutting than the Hero, which is better for a specific of hair cutting.